Tenkara: Simply Fly Fishing
Tenkara fishing is an ancient angling method, still relatively new in the US. While its own style of fly fishing, it is a great tool for the techniques of close-up nymphing, soft-hackle wet fly-fishing, and virtually drag-free dry fly fishing. It’s also a great way to get newbies engaged in the tradition of fly-fishing, to catch your own food while backpacking, or to simply enjoy the fishing experience.
Some of the main advantages of Tenkara style fishing are:
- Presentation – With the light line, the ability to hold the line off the water and a fly in place over difficult currents increases – precise casting and great control of the fly becomes a great advantage.
- Simplicity – Only rod, line and fly are used. The line is attached directly to the lillian on the tip of the rod, tippet is attached to the end of the Tenkara fishing line.
- Familiar but Different – As in western fly fishing, the line propels the weightless fly to the desired target. There is a fly-casting technique involved – just a bit slower, and with a shorter casting stroke.
- Intuitive – Landing a fish is very intuitive and similar to any type of fishing with a rod: one simply raises the rod high, and reaches for the fish.
- Accessibility – It’s also a great way to get kids and beginners engaged in the tradition of fly-fishing, to catch your own food while backpacking or to simply enjoy the fishing experience.
Why choose RIGS for your Tenkara guide service?
- RIGS Fly Shop was the FIRST Colorado Tenkara Fly Rod Dealer with Tenkara Guide Network Certified Guides since 2011.
- Our professional guides are teaching-focused with extensive experience in the field and the tenkara fishing approach.
- We offer 1/2 Day Trips, Full-Day Trips, and 2-Day Backcountry Overnights in the tenkara style.
- We loved tenkara so much we created the first tenkara Floating lines and Nymphing lines that have been popular since 2012!
Fly fishing simplified. Tenkara fly fishing is the hottest trend in fly fishing and RIGS offers has the only Certified Tenkara Network Guides in Colorado! With its simplified approach (no reel, just rod, and line) long rods and ultra-accurate presentation,...
Fly fishing simplified. Tenkara fly fishing is now a staple approach in fly fishing and RIGS offers the first Certified Tenkara Network Guides in Colorado! With its simplified approach (no reel, just rod and line) long rods and ultra-accurate presentation,...
High country fishing at its best! With their headwaters protected in the Uncompahgre Wilderness, the three different forks of the Cimarron River offer endless fishing for rainbow, cutthroat and brook trout in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. With...
Choose from our ½ Day Tenkara, Full-Day Tenkara, and 2-Day High Country Tenkara trips (guides choice waters) on premiere rivers in the region ideal for the Tenkara technique. Order Online 24/7 at our NEW secure Online Store, the complete Tenkara USA line of products.
*TENKARA rods, lines & accessories, plus any additional trip needs, can be purchased prior to your trip at our Full-Service Fly Shop or at our Online Store. All rivers located within one hour of Telluride, Ouray and Montrose Colorado. Directions to Fly Shop. All major airlines service Montrose Regional Airport, located 30 minutes from our Fly Shop.
To help you plan your trip, we offer some great links to our Preferred Lodging Partners and Regional Information for Ouray, Telluride & Montrose Colorado. Check out the complete list of all of our TENKARA Guided Fly Fishing Trip locations by viewing our Guided Fly Fishing Page (Tenkara Trips are booked as “Guides Choice”, all locations available upon request).
Hunting and Fishing Licenses are available at RIGS Full Service Fly Shop. However, we encourage you to purchase Fishing & Hunting Licenses Online prior to your trip to save time and hassle. When purchasing a Division of Wildlife License, the State requires your driver’s license or id, social security number, height, weight, and phone number.
*PLEASE NOTE: In order to legally fish in the State of Colorado, anyone 16 years or older must possess a valid Colorado State Fishing License. Fishing licenses can be purchased at our Full-Service Fly Shop, or you can conveniently purchase them online through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. The cost of the fishing license is not included in trip prices. Licenses can be purchased for periods of one day or more.