Paddle Sports Attendant
Brief Job Description
- Seasonal Part-time and Full-time - Enjoy spending time outside by the water? Showcase your passion for guest service and hospitality while promoting a fun and safe atmosphere for our guests!
- Assist guests with the rental of Kayaks and Paddle Boards at Ridgway State Park
- Explain proper uses and safety rules/guidelines to guests
- Ensure riders out in the water are following our safety rules/guidelines within reason
- Provide each guest with great service
- Follow company policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with inflatable kayaks, pumps and stand up paddle boards desired
- Outgoing demeanor
- Enjoy dealing with the public
- Great verbal communication skills
- Highly responsible and reliable
- Lift a minimum of 50lbs if required
- Comfortable working in extreme weather conditions, such as heat, cold, and/or rain
- Open availability during the summer
- Pay $10 to $15 an hour depending on job experience.
Fly Shop Sales Associate (Full time, Seasonal)
Brief Job Description
- Only serious applicants with industry experience, resume, and cover letter will be reviewed.
- Seasonal Position (potential year-round) – April 15th - September 15th Flexibility during the peak season to address the need for longer hours than full time if needed. The position has the potential for advancement and to expand into year-round dependent on experience. Housing Available
- Seasonal Part-Time Position - May 15th-August With the possibility of more than part-time during peak season, pay is dependent on years of experience. The ability to guide part-time, shop part-time may be available.The Fly Shop Sales Associate assists with the retail performance of the business and helps with all facets of the RIGS Fly Shop Operation in collaboration with the Fly Shop Manager, Assistant Manager, staff, and the owners. The fly shop sales associate must exude a positive, friendly and confident demeanor, and is detail orientated in his/her approach to fly shop administrative needs. Educated on environmental issues, industry innovations, and trends a plus. Their focus will be sales within the fly shop, booking trips and assisting the manager with orders and online sales.
- Retail & Point of Sales System – Assist with the purchase order process and online store.
- Reservation System & Guided Activities - Obtain an understanding of our Reservation System and the trip inventories within it to successfully process quotes and reservations for all guided activities.
- Fly Shop Sales and Client Relations - Maximize guest experience and fly shop efficiencies via sales of merchandise, trips and educating the public on what RIGS and the region have to offer.
- Strong Written & Verbal Communications - Ability to articulate in the written and spoken word (spelling/sentence structure, professional presentation of self) and communicate in a timely manner. Ability to quickly and effectively document and communicate internally, all identifiable situations that may affect the outcome of our product/guest experience.
- Computer & Technology - Proficiency/Comprehension/Retention. Strong working knowledge of windows based programs and progressive understanding of internet systems and cloud-based storage. E-commerce, social media and marketing a bonus
- Industry Knowledge - Background in the fly fishing industry as well as a knowledge/basic understanding of rafting equipment and safety.
- Retail Sales Experience - Prior work experience within the fly shop and guide service industry ideal. Strong customer service in both areas, as well as industry product knowledge. Consistently present RIGS's fly shop and business in a highly professional, clean/orderly/inviting manner.
- Organization, Documentation & Timely Completion of Objectives – Detailed oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills. Ability to take direction and stay on task during the busy season.
Float Fishing Guides
Brief Job Description
- We are seeking Class II float fishing guides and experienced whitewater Class II-IV float fishing guides. The Gunnison River offers an amazing setting for your daily office. Great fishing, great pay in our provided Boulder Boatworks boats enable you to expand you float fishing career in the region. Have technical whitewater river experience? The Gunnison Gorge is known as one of the top wilderness float fishing sections in North America, this remote back country setting and technical whitewater demand a high level of competency in multidisciplinary fields, including: professional whitewater guide, professional fly fishing guide, back country wilderness overnight guide, leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Client Assessment & Risk Management – identifying client needs, wants, physical condition and limitations. Ensuring a high level of safety, comfort and professionalism. From fly fishing, rafting, camp and meals - you will need to have a heightened awareness of your clients needs and how to fulfill them.
- Understanding your environment (Fly Fishing and Rafting)
- River rescue and emergency response/protocol
- Proper care and use of all overnight, rafting and fishing equipment.
- High level of fly fishing skills - consistently able to get clients of all ability levels into fish
- Preexisting Trip Leader (TL) or Guide Instructor (GI) experience in the State of Colorado
- Certified in Swiftwater Rescue Training (SRT)
- Prior experience guiding commercially on Class III – IV whitewater
- Float fishing abilities on challenging technical waters in inflatable rafts is a mandatory skill
- Excellent pay for experienced guides
Fly Fishing Guide
Fly Fishing Guide Customer service:
- Assess clients, read type of people and evaluate them for ability, strength/weaknesses, physical/medical conditions.
- Read body language asses the state of mind of clients
- Lead, inspire and instill confidence (remember the more they trust you, the more they’ll learn)
- Show interest in clients, communicate with clients, informing them on and off the river
- Manage time and trip to ensure that boats/people are off the river at the appropriate time, within company schedule requirements
- Discuss the client(s) goals prior to getting out on the water
- Use verbal and visual demonstrations. Clients will learn in their own way.
- Teach clients proper rod rigging, casting techniques and reading the water.
- Teach proper netting & fish handling.
- Explain safety instructions (drift boat, float trips, wading across the river, etc).
River Rafting Guide
Brief Job Description
- FT & PT Available, May-August. Great pay & fun work environment.
- Guide Training available, if not Currently Colorado Whitewater Certified
- Pay for performance - ROL minimum qualifications - Training schedule
- Guiding a raft with clients - Assess clients and manage group behavior, read body language/people by constantly assessing them. Lead, inspire, and instill confidence.
- Use verbal and visual demonstrations as well as explain safety instructions and self-rescue skills
- Awareness of all necessary safety equipment is carried and used according to company operating procedures. Know how to maintain, care for a raft. Emergency procedures, river signals, and use of all river safety equipment.
- Pre-requisite skills include river-crossing skills, rafting skills, knowledge of ropes and knots, life saving skills (approaching a panicked person), river confidence.
- Perform self-rescue; demonstrate water confidence on Class III water and with hazzards. This may include retrieving a person, effective communication to team, quick assessment of river conditions, equipment, client and execution of action plan.