The Cimarron High Country offers endless fishing opportunities for Rainbow, Cutthroat and Brook Trout. As a guide’s choice trip, we take advantage of our numerous locations to pick the best high country fly fishing in a half-day format. As one of the most beautiful settings in Colorado, the Cimarron High Country offers rare opportunities for solitude, native fish and remote access.
This clinic is designed to provide beginner anglers with the essential understanding of gear, introduction to flies and basic skills (knot tying and casting). This is not a “catching fish” clinic (even though on the 4 Hour clinic you may catch fish), but an instruction based seminar designed to help you become more acquainted with a basic fly fishing understanding. This course takes place at the Fly Shop and is divided into three different components: Equipment/Terminal Tackle Review, Fly selection, Basic Knots, and Casting Technique.
What is provided on a Fly Fishing Clinic?
Beginner Clinic: 2 Hours – Not on the water (Casting and Classroom)
- Fly Fishing Equipment – All necessary items are included in the worry-free clinic. We recommend bringing the following items: notebook/pen, a bottle of water, snack, polarized sunglasses, and a good attitude!
- Learn Essential Skills – Everything you need to begin your exploration in becoming a fly-fisher.
- Start Your Understanding of Fly Fishing – Gain the basic mechanics of navigating a fly shop for information and the essential gear that is used in fly fishing with insight from guides with years of experience that are passionate about teaching fly fishing.
- Understand the Tools of the Trade – Find out which fly fishing equipment is needed to get you started fishing on your own.
Beginner to Intermediate: 4 Hours – On the water
For the beginner to intermediate angler, this course is specifically focused on “On-the-Water Techniques.” You will spend four hours with one of our professional guides, learning the necessary techniques associated with catching trout: streamers, line mending, reading the water, advanced nymphing, casting techniques, and more.
Things to Consider on your Walk-In Fly Fishing Clinic:
- 2 Hour Clinics are first come, first serve – a maximum class size of 3 participants.
- 4 Hour Clinics are first come, first serve – a maximum class size of 2 participants.
- Clinics do not Replace Guided Trips – they are to give you an introduction to the skills and tools to get out on the water, but will not give you the same on-the-water time that a guided trip offers.
High country fishing at its best! With their headwaters protected in the Uncompahgre Wilderness, the three different forks of the Cimarron River offer endless fishing for rainbow, cutthroat and brook trout in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. With a 2 day guided fly fishing trip to the Cimarron river wilderness, “You’ll be amazed by the diversity of landscape, from alpine tundra to majestic spires, pinnacles and castles blocking the sun to dark, green forests carpeting steep mountains. And water, water everywhere” (Author, Fly Fishing Southwest Colorado – Mark D. Williams).
Experience classic big western river fly fishing in the heart of Colorado’s Gold Medal Trout Waters! The Gunnison River, Gorge National Conservation Area (BLM) offers world-class fly fishing for massive rainbow, brown and cutthroat trout, all within an impressive desert canyon ecology. Choose from over 10 miles of quality waters, with convenient access, allowing you and your guide to explore miles of pristine trout laden waters. Spring conditions offer epic Blue Wing Olive (BWO) hatches, while the can’t miss “Stone Fly Hatch” dominates May and June. Caddis Flies, PMD’s, Yellow Sallies, Grasshopper & other Terrestrials fill the remainder of the summer and fall with incredible angling opportunities…