A true backcountry experience, the Cimarron River offers endless fishing for Rainbow, Cutthroat and Brook Trout in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. As one of the most beautiful settings in Colorado, the Cimarron High Country provides solitude, native fish and remote access to bring classic fly fishing to life. Serene mountains surround you as you encounter creeks and streams everywhere. With over 10 miles of access on three separate small creeks and a wonderful three-mile section of remote tail-waters below Silver Jack Reservoir, this trip is a guide favorite.
“You’ll be amazed by the diversity of landscape, from alpine tundra to majestic spires, pinnacles and castles blocking the sun to dark, green forests carpeting steep mountains. And water, water everywhere.”
– Mark D. Williams (Author) Fly Fishing Southwest Colorado
Things to Consider on your Overnight Guided Fly Fishing Trip:
- Think About Your Goals – What do you want to get out of your trip, communicate with staff ahead of time. Let them know what you’d like to focus on during your trip (i.e. just want to have fun and catch fish? Or work on casting techniques and reading the water, etc.). We cater our trips to our clients’ wants & needs.
- Hiking – Taking a walk wade trip in the Cimarron High Country, does involve quite a bit of hiking, it is also at a higher elevation than most of the rivers we fish. Make sure you’re in physical shape for this trip and watch for altitude sickness (stay hydrated). If you’re unsure, discuss it with one of our reservations specialists.
- Timing – The Cimarron High Country is best fished from July to September, for the most productive trip talk to our reservations staff about when to come!
- Amenities – Enjoy the same professional service, riverside cuisine and quality overnight equipment you’d enjoy on our Deluxe Gunnison Gorge Trip. We provide all the camping gear, food, and entertainment for this trip, with a real backcountry experience.
Hunting and Fishing Licenses are available at RIGS Full Service Fly Shop. However, we encourage you to purchase Fishing & Hunting Licenses Online prior to your trip to save time and hassle. When purchasing a Division of Wildlife License, the State requires your driver’s license or id, social security number, height, weight, and phone number.
*PLEASE NOTE: In order to legally fish in the State of Colorado, anyone 16 years or older must possess a valid Colorado State Fishing License. Fishing licenses can be purchased at our Full-Service Fly Shop, or you can conveniently purchase them online through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. The cost of the fishing license is not included in trip prices. Licenses can be purchased for periods of one day or more.