Full Day: Guided Float Fishing Lower Gunnison River, CO
Experience Drift Boat Fly Fishing on the Lower Gunnison River
Drift the secluded Gold Medal waters of the Lower Gunnison River within Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area (near Pleasure Park / Gunnison Forks) while fly fishing a world class Rainbow and Brown trout fishery. Anglers will explore miles of pristine trout-laden waters, with access to areas tough to reach on foot. This section features incredible hatches, impressive desert canyon ecology and the longest season of float fishing in Western Colorado. The Lower Gunnison River is available year round: summer, fall, winter, and spring.
Our top of the line Boulder Boatworks drift boats offer unparallel float fishing performance and comfort on the river, with padded high-back seats, secure casting platforms, dry storage, anchor systems, easy storage and access to multiple fly rods. Looking for a Multi-Day Adventure? Ask about our Overnight Drift Boat or 3-day Deluxe Gunnison Gorge Trip.
Full Day Guided Drift Boat Fly Fishing Trip Things to Know Before You Go
- What is River Float Fishing? The concept is simple; while in a drift boat/dory or raft with a fishing frame, your guide navigates the boat on a moving body of water to ideal casting locations.
- The Drift Boat Advantage: Gaining access to areas you could not get to walk wading, coupled with the ability to cover more water in a shorter time, enables you to fish the best sections of river and reduces the chance of getting tangled along the shore. In a boat, the guide can position anglers into longer, more successful drifts, while maneuvering to remain in productive waters.
- Tell Us about Your Party; your experience, skill level, desires and goals for the trip. Remember, it’s your trip, so it’s fine to bring along your non-angling partner for this amazingly scenic and relaxing river journey OR take a detour to Eagle Rock archaeological site (one of the oldest sites in North America!) We tailor each trip to our client’s unique needs.
- Great for those with Low Mobility: If you or a party member has mobility concerns, keeping you from fly fishing, this trip is ideal! This mild river section means you never have to get out of the boat to access quality water.
RIGS Fly Shop Full Day Fly Fishing Trip What We Provide
- Low Guide-to-Client Ratio: We limit our trip to just two clients per float party so everyone receives hands-on attention and personalized instruction.
- Expert Fly Fishing Knowledge and Instruction: Rely on experts to help you read the waters and understand local fish behavior. Whether you want to perfect your cast, learn more about the equipment or catch the biggest fish of the day, RIGS Guides are more than just guides — they are Fly Fishing Professionals.
- Flies, Tackle & Gear: Our guides provide access to their personal arsenal of hand-selected tools of the trade including large boat nets, leader/tippet, nipper/hemostat, floatant, indicators and more. However, we encourage you to bring a small pack of your own items too. *Equipment Rentals (Rod/Reel & Wade Boots/Socks) available separately, please reserve.
- Transportation, Riverside Lunch & Non-alcoholic Beverages are included in the price of the trip. Take the worry out of planning and arrange all the details with our reservations staff in advance.
*PLEASE NOTE: In order to legally fish in the State of Colorado, anyone 16 years or older must possess a valid Colorado State Fishing License. Fishing licenses can be purchased at our Full-Service Fly Shop, or you can conveniently purchase them online through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. Cost of license is not included in trip prices. Licenses can be purchased for periods of one day or more.