RIGS is the first Certified Tenkara Network Guides in Colorado! Tenkara fly fishing is a simplified approach, offering clients an easier hands-on transition into learning the sport of fly fishing with less moving parts. While providing the seasoned angler an alternative method for smaller streams and creeks. Learn the techniques for close-up nymphing, soft-hackle wet and virtually drag-free dry fly fishing. Tenkara fly fishing is a great way to get anyone engaged in the tradition of fly fishing; to catch their own food during backpacking or to simply enjoy the fishing experience. A wonderful fishing approach if you enjoy high country rivers and streams.
What is a Full Day Tenkara Fly Fishing Trip like?
- Low Guide to Client Ratio – Each guide has a maximum of 3 clients with no “mixed parties”, this gives you individual time with your guide to improve your technique and get the most out of your guided trip.
- Expand Your Understand of Tenkara Fly Fishing – Learn simplified techniques to get you fishing on your own and learn the benefits of tenkara (8 hours).
- Learn How & Where to Use Tenkara – Tenkara is best for higher alpine creeks and streams, learn how to approach different locations and where to try out your new skills.
Things to Consider on your Full Day Tenkara Fly Fishing Trip:
- Think About Your Goals – What do you want to get out of your trip, communicate with staff ahead of time. Let them know what you’d like to focus on during your trip (i.e. do you want to learn traditional Tenkara, or just try to have fun and catch fish etc.). We cater our trips to our clients wants & needs.
- Timing – Depending on the time of year different areas will fish better than others, discuss the best options with our reservations staff to help decide which trip is best for you.
- Hiking – Taking a tenkara walk wade trip can involve some hiking and the ability to walk-wade in the river; it can also.be at a higher elevations than Ridgway. Make sure you’re in physical shape for this trip and watch for altitude sickness (stay hydrated). If you’re unsure, discuss it with one of our reservations specialists.
*PLEASE NOTE: In order to legally fish in the State of Colorado, anyone 16 years or older must possess a valid Colorado State Fishing License. Fishing licenses can be purchased at our Full Service Fly Shop, or you can conveniently purchase them online through the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website. Cost of license is not included in trip prices. Licenses can be purchased for periods of one day or more.